This past week, I was staying with my friend Liz at my aunt and uncle’s house on the big island of Hawaii!! I had the most incredible time and I couldn’t be more thankful to my aunt and uncle for letting me stay there. The island was beautiful, the people were beautiful, and the weather was perfect. I just got back last night and I am still recovering. By still recovering, I mean that my entire face seems to have swelled up and my body aches. While there, I managed to stay on California time. Thus, I would wake up at 6:30-7 am every day and either head out to an excursion or head down to the gym. To be honest, I probably worked out more this week than I have all year. Weird. After the gym, I would eat breakfast and then usually put my bathing suit on and go to the beach. The beach there had the most incredible snorkeling so I went snorkeling practically every day which was A DREAM COME TRUE. The sea turtles. Oh the sea turtles… Additionally, I took up yoga, which is great because I bought a Groupon a while back for a yoga place near my house that I have always been too scared to try to but now I feel much more comfortable with it. Anyways, I hope you enjoy these pictures. You can find their descriptions below (left to right)!
1. I always get really excited when they put designs on my coffee because it is a rare occurrence back home. This was at Daylight Mind Coffee Company, a really cute coffee shop/restaurant in Kailua-Kona. I got the Ahi fish tacos and they were so beyond delicious. Also, Kona coffee is probably some of the best coffee I’ve ever had.
2. This picture was taken at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park! I never thought that I would get to hike across a volcano.. Of course, the volcano has not been active for decades, but the core is still so hot that rainwater turns into mini geysers. If you are interested, this was the Kilauea Iki trail, which starts in a lush rainforest area and proceeds downward into the crater and then back up through a lush rainforest. It’s approximately four miles roundtrip and took us about two hours.
3. We went to tour Greenwell Farms, a coffee farm, which is about a 20 minute drive south of Kailua-Kona. It was really, really interesting and I had absolutely no idea that coffee beans look like cherries! They give free guided tours and unlimited free coffee samples. Needless to say, I didn’t get much sleep that night..
4. Bright green geckos! Everywhere!
5. We took Alaska Airlines to get there and back, which was fabulous because a) It was nonstop from San Jose and b) Our plane was completely festive. The ratio of Hawaiian shirts to non-Hawaiian shirts made me really happy. Hint: lots of Hawaiian shirts (and guitars).
6. We attended a culture show with hula dancing and fire blowing. I’m pretty sure some of the performers actually ate fire.
7. Scuba Diving is one of my favorite things to do in the whole world. This dive wasn’t my favorite but it was refreshing to see that I still remember how to do it given that my last dive was so miserable. Long story short, last time I got seasick from a small boat so this time I did a shore dive and everything went smoothly except that my googles got water in them and I have never really learned how to fix that.
8. Grammy Nominations Concert on TV! Taylor Swift did a live performance from her concert in Australia and one of my friends from over there was shown during it! I freaked out. So proud.
Thanks for reading! Thanks for existing! You are wonderful. Happy Wednesday!